Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Page 23 Troubles!

#1 User is offline   Maki Casanova 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:36 PM

Hi guys! I actually have been loving your Head First: C# third edition so far. It's got light, humorous, and casual enough language that eases you into learning how to program, instead of stockpiling a bunch of terminologies and concepts on you.

With that said, I've run into a problem. I've downloaded the first three chapters of the book, and on page 23, it says that, after making my elipse and the EnemyTemplate, "The XAML for your ContentControl now looks like this:

<ContentControl Content="ContentControl" Grid.Column.="2" HorizontalAlignment="Center" Grid.Row="2" VerticalAlignment="Center" Style="{StaticResource EnemyTemplate}"/> "

However, this is not the code that I get when I look into the code of my ContentControl. I am using the version VS 2013. Can anyone please help me out? I've already the ContentControl's properties from the previous steps, and I don't know why its not showing its default properties. This is what it looks like after making the EnemyTemplate and the elipse: <ContentControl Content="ContentControl"/>.

#2 User is offline   AndrewStellman 

• Andrew Stellman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: O'Reilly Author
  • Interests:Author of: "Head First C#", "Beautiful Teams", "Head First PMP", "Applied Software Project Management"

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:39 PM

That's a known issue with chapters 1 and 2. Microsoft released Visual Studio 2013 after the book was published, and there are some code differences. I've heard from people who did chapters 1 and 2 with VS2103, ignoring the code differences, and got through them just fine. After that the book switches to Windows Forms applications, and sticks with them until chapter 10 -- and they'll work just fine with VS2013.

The easiest thing to do is install Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows 8. It installs cleanly alongside VS2013. Here's the download link: http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=30664

I hope this helps!
Andrew Stellman
Author, Head First C#
Building Better Software -- http://www.stellman-greene.com

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users