O'Reilly Forums: Several Attempts To Download Vs 2012 Exp. For Windows Desktop - O'Reilly Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Several Attempts To Download Vs 2012 Exp. For Windows Desktop Downloading issues Re. VS2012

#1 User is offline   DavidJW 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:43 AM

Read already posted Item (VS 2012 express is not available) Used link provided etc, followed download instructions but download
did not download. What went wrong? I expected the download to download onto my PC. Was that too much to expect? Any ideas?
You've guessed it - I'm new to the HFC# 3rd Edition book.

#2 User is offline   sukotto_san 

• Pip

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:14 PM

View PostDavidJW, on 23 February 2014 - 09:43 AM, said:

Read already posted Item (VS 2012 express is not available) Used link provided etc, followed download instructions but download
did not download. What went wrong? I expected the download to download onto my PC. Was that too much to expect? Any ideas?
You've guessed it - I'm new to the HFC# 3rd Edition book.

I just downloaded and installed this today:

http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=30664

Are you not seeing it in your downloads folder? Or are you maybe seeing an ISO file? I had no issues with it earlier today.

This post has been edited by sukotto_san: 23 February 2014 - 06:26 PM

#3 User is offline   DavidJW 

• Pip

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:34 AM

View Postsukotto_san, on 23 February 2014 - 06:14 PM, said:

I just downloaded and installed this today:

http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=30664

Are you not seeing it in your downloads folder? Or are you maybe seeing an ISO file? I had no issues with it earlier today.

Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

Actually, since I posted this issue I have just realized after receiving an email from Andrew Stellman on the 21st
Feb., stating that I should download VS Exp. 2013 for Windows Desktop as my o/s is Windows 7 Home addition. Now I'm really confused because
I believe I read on this forum that there are issues with VS Exp. 2013 for Windows Desktop and HFC# 3rd Edition. Is this true?

Taking everything into account. Can anyone definitively advise me which VS Exp. version I can download and use with the Book HFC# 3rd Edition?

Thanks

#4 User is offline   AndrewStellman 

• Andrew Stellman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: O'Reilly Author
  • Interests:Author of: "Head First C#", "Beautiful Teams", "Head First PMP", "Applied Software Project Management"

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:24 PM

If you're using Window 8 or 8.1, download Visual Studio 2012 Express for Windows 8. You'll use this to build the Windows Store projects.

In Chapter 2 you'll switch to desktop apps. For these apps, you need to use Visual Studio Express for Windows Desktop. You can use either 2012 or 2013. Flip to page 87 to get an explanation of why these are a valuable learning tool.

I know this is a little weird. But once you dive in, you'll be fine. Microsoft split the free Express editions up so there's one for Desktop and one for Windows 8. Luckily, all of these different editions happily install side by side on the same machine. I know it seems a little crazy, but once you actually start using them there should be very little confusion.

Andrew Stellman
Author, Head First C#
Building Better Software -- http://www.stellman-greene.com

#5 User is offline   DavidJW 

• Pip

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:52 AM

View PostAndrewStellman, on 25 February 2014 - 01:24 PM, said:

If you're using Window 8 or 8.1, download Visual Studio 2012 Express for Windows 8. You'll use this to build the Windows Store projects.

In Chapter 2 you'll switch to desktop apps. For these apps, you need to use Visual Studio Express for Windows Desktop. You can use either 2012 or 2013. Flip to page 87 to get an explanation of why these are a valuable learning tool.

I know this is a little weird. But once you dive in, you'll be fine. Microsoft split the free Express editions up so there's one for Desktop and one for Windows 8. Luckily, all of these different editions happily install side by side on the same machine. I know it seems a little crazy, but once you actually start using them there should be very little confusion.

Thanks Andrew- I'm now up and running. Well nearly. see new post re: (WPF) PDF file small printing issue.
DavidJW

PS How do I change (edit) the an already POSTed line?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users