• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Need Help Getting Started

#1 User is offline   rsomazzi 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:47 PM

Hi there,

I run Windows 7 not 8, so downloading Express for Windows 8 is not an option. When I run 2012 or 2013 VS Express, I do not get the options "Windows Store" under Visual C# in the New Project panel. There are no other IDEs to launch in the menu.

If I am having problems right out the door following your instructions, I am afraid of what will happen when things really get tough.

I hope I am missing something really trivial here. I just bought the 3rd edition.

thanks

This post has been edited by rsomazzi: 26 January 2014 - 08:48 PM

#2 User is offline   rsomazzi 

• Pip

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:51 AM

Bump

This post has been edited by rsomazzi: 27 January 2014 - 07:52 AM

#3 User is offline   Bootsy 

• Pip

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:09 PM

I just pulled out my First Edition book today to re-teach myself C#. I can't speak to the 3rd edition yet (I just ordered one last night), but I can tell you the book is excellent. I would recommend skipping the first example and starting with the main text. I know the first edition has a few errors, but they weren't fatal.

I'd recommend just opening a new project and use Google when you're stuck. That's what I have to do for my job because I'm the only programmer and no one's around to ask questions. So, it's good practice if nothing else. :)

#4 User is offline   AndrewStellman 

• Andrew Stellman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: O'Reilly Author
  • Interests:Author of: "Head First C#", "Beautiful Teams", "Head First PMP", "Applied Software Project Management"

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:03 PM

View Postrsomazzi, on 26 January 2014 - 08:47 PM, said:

Hi there,

I run Windows 7 not 8, so downloading Express for Windows 8 is not an option. When I run 2012 or 2013 VS Express, I do not get the options "Windows Store" under Visual C# in the New Project panel. There are no other IDEs to launch in the menu.

If I am having problems right out the door following your instructions, I am afraid of what will happen when things really get tough.

I hope I am missing something really trivial here. I just bought the 3rd edition.

thanks

If you're using Windows 7, just see the big box on page 11 (more info on page 13, and also page xxxviii of the intro):

No Windows 8? No problem. The first two chapters and the last half of this book have many projects that are built with Visual Studio 2012 for Windows 8, but many readers aren’t running Windows 8 yet. Luckily, most of the Windows Store apps in this book can also be built using Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF), which is compatible with earlier operating systems. You can download a free PDF with details and instructions from http://www.headfirstlabs.com/hfcsharp...flip to leftover #11 in the appendix for more information.

The WPF PDF has a replacement for Chapter 1. After that, there are five pages in Chapter 2 that are different, then you don't touch the PDF again until Chapter 10. I've talked to many people who have had no trouble using the book with Windows 7, using both Visual Studio 2012 and Visual Studio 2010.

I hope this helps!
Andrew Stellman
Author, Head First C#
Building Better Software -- http://www.stellman-greene.com

#5 User is offline   Bootsy 

• Pip

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:53 PM

View PostAndrewStellman, on 27 January 2014 - 07:03 PM, said:

If you're using Windows 7, just see the big box on page 11 (more info on page 13, and also page xxxviii of the intro):

The WPF PDF has a replacement for Chapter 1. After that, there are five pages in Chapter 2 that are different, then you don't touch the PDF again until Chapter 10. I've talked to many people who have had no trouble using the book with Windows 7, using both Visual Studio 2012 and Visual Studio 2010.

I hope this helps!

Edited to remove question to Andrew. He answered my question in a different topic.

This post has been edited by Bootsy: 27 January 2014 - 09:12 PM

#6 User is offline   rsomazzi 

• Pip

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:56 AM

View PostAndrewStellman, on 27 January 2014 - 07:03 PM, said:

I hope this helps!

I liked how the guide discussed concepts so I stuck with it a few pages and did find the "No Windows 8? No Problem" explanation. By that time, I had set up a VM with Windows 8 and went to the trouble of installing VS 2012 for W8 on it and started from the beginning. I won't be developing Windows phone/tablet apps but my goal was to learn C# which I am sure is coming. I will keep going and see how it goes.

thanks for the help.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users