Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Another Save The Humans Topic No errors, game doesn't run

#1 User is offline   oscarkool 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:26 PM

I've literally copied the code from the site due to frustration with the game not opening at all anymore and it still isn't working - even using the official code. No errors, nothing. The game opens and then closes right away. All I have is a warning about how the humanCaptured bool is assigned but value is never used. Doesn't make sense because I'm using the official source code from https://hfcsharp.cod...ainPage.xaml.cs

My advice for newbies: just skip doing the coding for this first chapter. Read thru the chapter and everything, but don't bother with the coding/building the game, you won't learn anything from copying the code into your game other than frustration due to a typo here and there or in my case perfect code that still doesn't run.

Advice for author: skip the coding part of this chapter, just explain the concepts and everything. Even on page 40 you recommend to just copy and paste the code from the website, lol. So yea, don't spend two hours trying to fix problems that aren't your fault and instead breeze thru chapter 1 and avoid the actual code copying stuff. You can try copy + pasting code from the website but it still might not work like in my case.

edit: even after commenting out the whole bool and everything (so I have 0 errors and 0 warnings) the game still doesn't run. It just builds and then I see the big X (splash screen) and then it just goes to my desktop. I'm on windows 8.

1>------ Deploy started: Project: save the humans, Configuration: Release Any CPU ------
1>Updating the layout...
1>Deployment complete. Full package name: "03ab9ec0-f031-4f06-9de4-db3a320073d1_1.0.0.0_neutral__ky5brtva589yy"
========== Deploy: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========

This post has been edited by oscarkool: 21 January 2014 - 07:41 PM

#2 User is offline   AndrewStellman 

• Andrew Stellman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: O'Reilly Author
  • Interests:Author of: "Head First C#", "Beautiful Teams", "Head First PMP", "Applied Software Project Management"

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:38 PM

That's really strange. I've never seen that happen. What happens if you download the whole folder from CodePlex?
Andrew Stellman
Author, Head First C#
Building Better Software -- http://www.stellman-greene.com

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users