O'Reilly Forums: A Quick Tip For Using The 3Rd Edition... - O'Reilly Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Quick Tip For Using The 3Rd Edition...

#1 User is offline   Seismo 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:03 AM

I have Windows 8 on my home PC but my work laptop is Windows 7 so I was unable to use my laptop for the beginning project of this book.
But then it hit me - I have an additional Technet license for Windows 8... and I have VMPlayer.
I installed Windows 8 in a virtual machine on my laptop, installed VS2012, copied my SaveTheHumans folder over to the VM and have been able to work in this environment.

If you don't have Windows 8, Microsoft has a 90-day evaluation of Windows 8 Enterprise available here.
So, for the low, low price of FREE, you can get everything you need to develop in Windows 8.

#2 User is offline   AndrewStellman 

• Andrew Stellman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: O'Reilly Author
  • Interests:Author of: "Head First C#", "Beautiful Teams", "Head First PMP", "Applied Software Project Management"

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:54 AM

That's excellent -- great advice! I strongly recommend virtual environments for development. In fact, I did all of the work for the book using Windows running inside a VM.
Andrew Stellman
Author, Head First C#
Building Better Software -- http://www.stellman-greene.com

#3 User is offline   rsomazzi 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:33 AM

View PostAndrewStellman, on 17 October 2013 - 08:54 AM, said:

That's excellent -- great advice! I strongly recommend virtual environments for development. In fact, I did all of the work for the book using Windows running inside a VM.

I really appreciate the tip, I do, but there is nothing "quick" about being required to install a new OS in or out of any VM in order to go through the tutorials or projects in this book. I would have appreciated a head's up (pun intended) for this head first guide that warned potential buyers that Windows 8 would be required in order to get started. I made a new post asking for help about this, being a green developer I am hoping there is some workaround to having to install Windows 8.

It's not a good feeling that right out of the gate, I can't follow along with the book because I am using Windows 7 and do not see the options in VS 2012 Express or Ultimate (at work) for Windows Store... Blank App (XAML).

What's the verdict for Windows 7 users? What can I do to get started in this guide? Do I have to skip the starting lesson? How much of this guide am I locked out of as a result?

thanks

#4 User is offline   AndrewStellman 

• Andrew Stellman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: O'Reilly Author
  • Interests:Author of: "Head First C#", "Beautiful Teams", "Head First PMP", "Applied Software Project Management"

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:59 PM

If you're using Windows 7, just see the big box on page 11 (more info on page 13, and also page xxxviii of the intro):

No Windows 8? No problem. The first two chapters and the last half of this book have many projects that are built with Visual Studio 2012 for Windows 8, but many readers aren’t running Windows 8 yet. Luckily, most of the Windows Store apps in this book can also be built using Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF), which is compatible with earlier operating systems. You can download a free PDF with details and instructions from http://www.headfirstlabs.com/hfcsharp...flip to leftover #11 in the appendix for more information.

The WPF PDF has a replacement for Chapter 1. After that, there are five pages in Chapter 2 that are different, then you don't touch the PDF again until Chapter 10. I've talked to many people who have had no trouble using the book with Windows 7, using both Visual Studio 2012 and Visual Studio 2010.

I hope this helps!
Andrew Stellman
Author, Head First C#
Building Better Software -- http://www.stellman-greene.com

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users