• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jon_Bryce

Jon_Bryce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:20 PM

Hi all - one thing I found odd in the book was that it didn't go far enough into Python, and spent time in Android and Web programming. All good stuff, but not really the most important topics to learn for us n00bs.

I had problems relating the OO aspects of Python - a great selling point to the language and one well-covered in the book - with the SQL database structure that's covered (again, very well). Problem is of course, how do you read records from a SQL-type database and refer to them as objects.

I've found SqlAlchemy to be the 'bridge' in the middle. It's mentioned in the HF Python book, but not covered at all. IMHO this should be there, rather than Android. A good tutorial for SQL Alchemy is here ...

http://www.blog.pyth...7-0-8-tutorial/

That's after the installation of course: try this http://docs.sqlalche...ml#installation

I couldn't get PIP or easy-install to work, but the 'zip' one worked for me.

BTW, I found some small bugs in the SqlAlchemy tutorial. I've commented there (on that page) . Clue - it's the date format.

Hope this helps other budding Python-esques, and see you in the job queue ... If someone has a better SqlAlchemy tutorial, I'll be glad to hear it.

#2 paulbarry

paulbarry

Advanced Member

• O'Reilly Author
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:04 AM

Thanks for this comment.

It is always a toss-up what goes in and what doesn't when writing any book. Some people want to see web stuff, and others want databases. It's a balancing act, which authors don't always get right.

I'm currently working on the second edition of Head First Python (due out around the end of 2013... assuming I have no more delays). I've completely changed the structure and order of the book, as well as a lot of the content. Your comments on what should be in there have been noted.

Thanks, again.

--Paul.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users