• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gregory A Johnson

Gregory A Johnson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

Just started Head First Python. Downloaded and installed Python v 3.3. The IDLE functionality described at the beginning of Chapter 1 is not working. Colored syntax, auto indenting, Tab-Completion. Any suggestions? This is on windows machines, One Windows 7, and the same behavior on an XP machine.

#2 paulbarry

paulbarry

Advanced Member

• O'Reilly Author
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

I just checked this on my Windows 7 machine... and it works as described in the book.

A "Python 3.3" group was added to my "All Programs" menu after installation, and the group contains a "IDLE (Python GUI)" option which brings up IDLE. There's also the standard Python (command-line) option, which does *not* have the features you described, but the GUI option does. Are you picking the right option?

See attached screen-shot.

--Paul.

Attached Thumbnails

• WinPy3.3.png

#3 Gregory A Johnson

Gregory A Johnson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:31 PM

I just checked this on my Windows 7 machine... and it works as described in the book.

A "Python 3.3" group was added to my "All Programs" menu after installation, and the group contains a "IDLE (Python GUI)" option which brings up IDLE. There's also the standard Python (command-line) option, which does *not* have the features you described, but the GUI option does. Are you picking the right option?

See attached screen-shot.

--Paul.

Thanks for the speedy reply Paul. The book said nothing about how to start IDLE so I went to the install directory and ran python.exe (the shell). I since discovered the IDLE (Python GUI) and created a shortcut on my desktop for that. I was coming back to tell anyone reading my post to ignore it. I'm really new and green.
I've only coded in xbase language and have some retraining to do.
Greg

#4 paulbarry

paulbarry

Advanced Member

• O'Reilly Author
  • 307 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:01 AM

Thanks, Greg.

Yes, my bad - the book should be clearer on this. :-(

[One more edit for the 2nd edition].

Happy to see you are now on your way. Enjoy your journey! :-)

--Paul.

#5 kaysalas

kaysalas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:43 PM

hello mr. Barry, really nice getting access to you. I encountered a difficulty in your h.f. Programming book, and left it to read through h.f. Python where i also encountered other issues but finally nice discovering this medium of getting across to you. My questions will start flowing in by tomorrow God willing. The issue right now is do i go back to h.f. Programming or continue with h.f. Python bearing in mind that i dont have any prior knowledge.thnx

#6 kaysalas

kaysalas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

hello mr. Barry, really nice getting access to you. I encountered a difficulty in your h.f. Programming book, and left it to read through h.f. Python where i also encountered other issues but finally nice discovering this medium of getting across to you. My questions will start flowing in by tomorrow God willing. The issue right now is do i go back to h.f. Programming or continue with h.f. Python bearing in mind that i dont have any prior knowledge.thnx

#7 paulbarry

paulbarry

Advanced Member

• O'Reilly Author
  • 307 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:48 PM

As you already have both books, the recommended approach is to go through HF Programming first, then tackle HF Python. Best of luck!

--Paul.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users