• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 coder51

coder51

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

I am working through the book and learning a lot. Currently on chapter 7. My frustration is in the fact several of the examples don't work without me going back and testing individual pieces. I've gone back and checked the code (multiple times) and made certain it matched what is in the book. I've also looked at the final code and found it to be different from what is printed. I'd be very lost if I didn't have the any previous coding experience.

The book in general is a great way to get guided practice, but the implementation still needs some work.

#2 Lars Ole

Lars Ole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:11 AM

Completely agree

#3 Gizzer

Gizzer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

Completely agree

Same here - Chapter 5 testing the lightning effect. I wrote it exactly as the book does, but the lightning goes into a strobing effect instead of a random flashes. When I checked the 'end' code, the functions have been created completely differently with the timings hard coded into the function rather than passed as a parameter to it. It clearly affects the execution somehow, because then the lightning then works as it should do.

#4 dangrmous

dangrmous

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:48 PM

You should really consider these minor errors to be great opportunities for learning.

While it's unfortunate they exist, in the real world you'll need to untangle far more complex coding problems. If something in this book doesn't seem to work the way it should (and this happened to me too) then pour yourself a cup of coffee, locate the problem, and fix it yourself. This is what you will be required to do if you ever plan to make any money doing this anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users