O'Reilly Forums: Uploading Html Pages To My Website ? - O'Reilly Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Uploading Html Pages To My Website ? GOING CRAZY !!

#1 User is offline   XPsycho 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:03 AM

Domains, sub-domains, parked domains, nameservers, FTP, hosts..... !!!! IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY !

I'm reading Head First with HTML, CSS & XHTML and I've reached the point where I need to upload my Starbuzz/Mission pages to a website I create, but I've gone mad chasing instructions and trying to apply ! D:

PLEASE, help me :(

I need detailed instructions on how to create my website... If you can do it yourself then post screenshots, I'd be so glad !

Sorry, but it's really, really depressing me ! (Yeah, I did say I was depressed on my other post, too :| )

#2 User is offline   Beth Robson 

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: O'Reilly Employee
  • Interests:I am interested in computer science, the Web, social media and the internet, Mac development, and adult learning.

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:40 PM

If you use a FTP program like Transmit (which is what I used in the screenshots below), it's easier to get the files from your computer to the server. Just connect using the information your hosting company gives you for your server name, login id, and password, and drag the files into the folder for your website.

First, connect:
Attached Image: FTP1.jpg

Then copy the file over:
Attached Image: FTP2.jpg

Then you should be able to see it on the server. Your hosting company will have to help you with specifics of connecting information and path.

Hope that helps, Elisabeth
Elisabeth Robson
Co-founder, WickedlySmart.com
Author: Head First JavaScript Programming, Head First HTML5 Programming, Head First HTML and CSS, Head First Design Patterns

#3 User is offline   XPsycho 

• Pip

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:50 AM

View PostBeth Robson, on 12 August 2012 - 08:40 PM, said:

If you use a FTP program like Transmit (which is what I used in the screenshots below), it's easier to get the files from your computer to the server. Just connect using the information your hosting company gives you for your server name, login id, and password, and drag the files into the folder for your website.

First, connect:
Attachment FTP1.jpg

Then copy the file over:
Attachment FTP2.jpg

Then you should be able to see it on the server. Your hosting company will have to help you with specifics of connecting information and path.

Hope that helps, Elisabeth

I do know how to upload, I think the problem is with the "name server" :-/

Could you please check the screenshots ?
1- In order to get the website up and running, I must point my domain's name servers to theirs.
Attached Image: Capture 1.PNG
2- To do that, I need to log in to my domain registrar (THEM, in my case) and update the name servers.
Attached Image: Capture 3.PNG
3-There's no option for changing name servers !
Attached Image: Capture 2.PNG

What should I do ? Posted Image

This post has been edited by XPsycho: 13 August 2012 - 04:52 AM

#4 User is offline   XPsycho 

• Pip

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:07 AM

View Postlemuel, on 13 August 2012 - 08:25 PM, said:

What's your domain name? Where is it registered?

it's starbuzz-cafe.com , I registered it at 000webhost.com

that's what I don't get, I registered the domain on their website, they tell me where to find the nameservers, *View account details -Capture 2* but not how to change them.... I reviewed the FAQ, couldn't find any more information than in Capture 3

Any idea what to do now ? Any recommendations for another hosting company (I tried two, I got the same problem with xtreemhost.com )

I know this is not the point of the book and I should probably be consulting the forum on webhost but.......... Any kind of help is appreciated...... I really wanna get on with web designing Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Beth Robson 

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: O'Reilly Employee
  • Interests:I am interested in computer science, the Web, social media and the internet, Mac development, and adult learning.

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:31 PM

Hi,
Remember that "registering" and "hosting" are two different things.
Registering a domain simply says, "I own this domain!". But that doesn't give you any web server space on the internet to put it.
Hosting gives you that place to put the domain and the files associated with it, in a public place on the internet.

So it's two steps. Register, then host. If you pay for hosting, you can usually do it at the same place. If you want free hosting, you'll have to register the domain separately (and pay). Most good for-pay hosting companies will give you a good deal if you do both with them.

You can get through the book without doing either of these things, just so you know! We do not assume you've got a hosted domain in any of the rest of the book.

Elisabeth
Elisabeth Robson
Co-founder, WickedlySmart.com
Author: Head First JavaScript Programming, Head First HTML5 Programming, Head First HTML and CSS, Head First Design Patterns

#6 User is offline   XPsycho 

• Pip

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:58 AM

Thank you so much, you've explained everything I wanted to know. I get it all now :)

Can't wait to resume the book !

Sorry for all the fuss ! ^_^

This post has been edited by XPsycho: 16 August 2012 - 03:59 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users