• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lightcycle

lightcycle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:24 AM

As of June 2012, the current version of Xcode has enough interface changes as well as options for different project types that it will stop a new user in their tracks in frustration when attempting most of the projects early in the book. I am surprised I haven’t seen the authors of the book posting in this forum that they plan a free online update?
I realize its not the authors fault that apple felt like changing things yet again in such a short time span, but to keep this book relevant at all, some kind of update is going to be required.

Edited by lightcycle, 20 June 2012 - 04:25 AM.

#2 lightcycle

lightcycle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:28 AM

I'll reply to my own post...looks like there is a 3rd edition coming out that I assume will contain the necessary updates. If its anything more than free for people that bought the second addition you have to be joking.

#3 davehodg

davehodg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

I'll reply to my own post...looks like there is a 3rd edition coming out that I assume will contain the necessary updates. If its anything more than free for people that bought the second addition you have to be joking.

I'm with you. Got to Chapter 4 and the wheels totally came off. Not exactly what someone just learning the environment needs. I've seen some diffs to the code but at this point it's line noise to me.

#4 drewdin

drewdin

Super Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

I also had to stop because it cant be used, I'm going to send an email and see what can be done!

#5 taylor@imaxwell.net

taylor@imaxwell.net

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

I totally agree that it is difficult to based upon XCode changes

Most of the time you have to search the web for simple examples and then apply what you learn there to the examples in the book. Definitely a problem

#6 Briga

Briga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:57 AM

I just bought the book two weeks ago, already having troubles with the Picker in the second chapter and file's owner. I've tried searching the web for clues but it is really frustrating not to have an update on the changes made to the SDK. I've done well so far but I am struggling with this one and got stuck.

It would be very frustrating to have to spend all the money in a new book so, updates on the website for the book owners, at least for now, would suffice.

#7 ronaldosborne

ronaldosborne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

I just bought the book two weeks ago, already having troubles with the Picker in the second chapter and file's owner. I've tried searching the web for clues but it is really frustrating not to have an update on the changes made to the SDK. I've done well so far but I am struggling with this one and got stuck.

It would be very frustrating to have to spend all the money in a new book so, updates on the website for the book owners, at least for now, would suffice.

I just bought the 3rd Edition, (supposedly updated) book on Friday 1/3. Having problems with differences in the book and Xcode 5.0.2 already at Page 19, Test Drive.
Xcode just freezes up and the only way out is to Force Quit.

I really feel ripped off for $28 for the eBook.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

"