O'Reilly Forums: Need Substitute For "view-Based Application" (2Nd Edition) - O'Reilly Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Need Substitute For "view-Based Application" (2Nd Edition)

#1 User is offline   Derek Zumsteg 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:40 PM

Hi -- on p8, I'm supposed to create a View-based application. However, following the instructions and downloading the latest version of Xcode (4.2.1) ... it's not there. I've verified the installation's okay, and a quick search finds there's a lot of people out there having this issue.

Now the book's moved on to .xib files, and I don't have one.

What's a newb to do?

#2 User is offline   drew_35144 

• PipPip

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:53 PM

it is there.. File|New|New Project.. click on Application in the left sidebar.. it should be in the second row, second icon..

hth, drew..

#3 User is offline   SilithCrowe 

• Pip
  • Interests:Computer Science, Mobile Development (Android, iOS), Movies, Listening to Music, Drumming, Snowboarding, Rock Climbing, Video Games

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:13 AM

Xcode 4.2.x seems to have different templates from the ones shown in this book. There is an equivalent template that helps you get past page 8, which I think is called "Single Page" or something like that. I'd check, except that I already went ahead and grabbed Xcode 4.1 so that I could follow along in the book more easily. As I discovered, there are more problems with having the latest Xcode once you get to Chapter 4.

If you'd like to join me on my quest to keep the book follow-alongable (new word I made up thanks to Head First products), you'll have to install the version of Xcode that the book uses. If you're running on Lion, the closest you can get is 4.1, but I suspect that the actual version would be 4.0.x, which only seems to work on Snow Leopard. In order to install an older version, you'll probably have to uninstall Xcode 4.2. Do that by typing the following into a terminal (which is under Utilities in your Applications folder):

sudo /Developer/Library/uninstall-devtools –mode=all

For more/better info on that, find the pdf that comes with xcode; mine's at /Developer/About Xcode.pdf.

Then you can download the older version from here:

https://developer.ap...ds/index.action

Note that your download from here might just put an "Xcode Installer" app in your applications folder. Running that app installs the *actual* Xcode program. Afterwards, it can be trashed.

These books are definitely aimed at people (like me) who often have a hard time figuring things like this out, so it's such a shame that they so quickly become outdated. Good luck with your iOS development!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users