• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jpeter

jpeter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:43 AM

the WLAN chapter and NAT solution got me confused. On page 376, you talk about DHCP. The examples show the client configuration (meaning, I want to connect my computer via DHCP). On the same page, the access point becomes a DHCP server. That means, that I can usually define the adress range that my WLAN DHCP server uses. According to the book, this works, until we run out of IP adress (p. 379).

The way I look at it, these addresses com from the WLAN DHCP server and have nothing to do with the IP adresses provided by the ISP. And how would these adresses be routed, if NAT was not already working? And where would additional adresses come from for our WLAN clients?

by the way: the access point could also be made to get its address through DHCP, that would add up to three different meanings of DHCP.

confusing

Juerg

#2 Al Anderson

Al Anderson

• O'Reilly Author
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:07 AM

Juerg,

A DHCP server just hands out the IP addresses that it is configured to hand out. It does not matter where the IP addresses come from. Many businesses get a small number of IP addresses from their ISP then use them anyway they choose.

In our scenario, we wanted to allow customers to use the hotspot and not have to configure static IP addresses. DHCP allows us to do this. Whether DHCP is hosted by the wireless access point, or another server on the network, or the ISP's server, the client really does not care.

The confusing part is that a wireless access point can be acting as a switch (bridge) and still act as a DHCP server. DHCP has nothing to do with routing, it is simply a protocol for handing out IP addresses. Once you run out of ISP assigned addresses, then you have to move to private IP addresses and NAT.

Al

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users