Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Using Sql Express 2008 In Solution Explorer

#1 User is offline   CecilChampenois 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 December 2009 - 10:36 PM

On page 18, it states that you should ADD a new SQL Server Database called ContactDB.mdf by right-clicking on the Contacts project, clicking on Add, New Item, and select "Service-based Database", click on the Add button. The Data Source Configuration Wizard comes up and states, "Choose Your Database Objects". I then see a statements that says: "The database you selected is new or does not contain any objects. Click Finish to create an empty dataset...."

I noticed that this wizard gave a default name of ContactDBDataSet; it did not create what I expected, which was a full database called "ContactDB.mdf". The book states that a database called "ContactDB" will be created, yet I ended up with a "DataSet". So, I am trying to use the Solution Explorer the way it is supposed to be used, yet it doesn't work that way and now, what do I do with this new dataset?

I know that I can easily go to the VS 2008 Server Explorer and create a database; that is not the question. I just want SQL Server Express 2008 to work the way that two books now have told me to use it from the Solution Explorer. I think it worked this way in SQL Server Express 2005, but these same instructions do not work the same in SQL Server Express 2008. I've already tried this with the full version of SQL Server 2008 and it also does not work, and I already know that the Solution Explorer requires the EXPRESS version.

Is this possibly as a result of C# authors writing to the VS 2008 Beta versions? Or did I miss something?

Did Microsoft change something in VS 2008 from the BETA to the final release?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users