• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pgaltieri

pgaltieri

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 08:13 PM

The question asks what fiber (single or multimode) to select to go 1300m at 1Gbit/sec. The answer given is single mode, why? It would seem to me that the answer should be multimode according to the table on page 46. Since 1300m is less than 2000m and 1Gbit/sec is less than 10Gbit/sec specified for multimode it would seem that this is th right choice.

#2 EmoKid

EmoKid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:26 AM

I've also noticed this, from the table shown multimode seems the correct answer, yet single mode is listed as the correct answer. Is there something I'm not understanding or simply an error?

Thanks for any help with issue

#3 peach777

peach777

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE (pgaltieri @ Jul 12 2009, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The question asks what fiber (single or multimode) to select to go 1300m at 1Gbit/sec. The answer given is single mode, why? It would seem to me that the answer should be multimode according to the table on page 46. Since 1300m is less than 2000m and 1Gbit/sec is less than 10Gbit/sec specified for multimode it would seem that this is th right choice.

I would agree also just as i thought as i read it.

#4 Al Anderson

Al Anderson

• O'Reilly Author
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:09 PM

This table needs to be totally redone. Fiber lengths is almost an art. Check out the table at http://www.fiberopti...imode-fiber.php. You have to scroll to the bottom of the page. It really shows the complexity of the subject.

Al

#5 Al Anderson

Al Anderson

• O'Reilly Author
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:58 AM

As I noted in the post above, this table needs to be redone. Here is better table: http://www.fiberopti...imode-fiber.php

This other table shows the optimal lengths and speeds for multimode fiber. You could probably get way with using multimode, but single mode should really be used. Again, the table is in error and needs to be redone in the next edition.

Al Anderson
one of the authors...

QUOTE (Dave Hendricks @ Jan 31 2010, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

========

Interesting, I would think the same thing.

Thanks,

Dave Hendricks SEO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users