• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 johnsifu

johnsifu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 04:57 PM

This has been bugging me all weekend. The excersise on Page 165 on packet analysis, The questions are:

Packet Type:
Destination IP Address:
Source IP Address:
Data:

How did you find the IP Address for the source and destination? When I look at the Source and Destination IP Address blocks they are MAC Addresses. Any advice will be helpful.

#2 Al Anderson

Al Anderson

• O'Reilly Author
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:11 PM

Those are certainly hex values, but you can convert the hex to decimal then you will see the IP addresses in decimal. The key to remember here is that everything is really in binary. Hex and decimal are really just for humans to muck around with and we are used to MAC addresses being in hex and IP addresses being in decimal. But any of these can be represented in any of the values.

Hope this helps.

Al

QUOTE (johnsifu @ Jun 21 2009, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This has been bugging me all weekend. The excersise on Page 165 on packet analysis, The questions are:

Packet Type:
Destination IP Address:
Source IP Address:
Data:

How did you find the IP Address for the source and destination? When I look at the Source and Destination IP Address blocks they are MAC Addresses. Any advice will be helpful.

#3 johnsifu

johnsifu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 06:14 PM

Oh I got it. Thanks for the help Al.

#4 smaser

smaser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:33 PM

Al,

When I look at the approved solution, I think there is an error on page 166. The source address ends in 2Fh which converts to 47 decimal. The answer says 41 decimal. Is there a mistake in the book or it it me.

Scott

QUOTE (Al Anderson @ Jun 21 2009, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Those are certainly hex values, but you can convert the hex to decimal then you will see the IP addresses in decimal. The key to remember here is that everything is really in binary. Hex and decimal are really just for humans to muck around with and we are used to MAC addresses being in hex and IP addresses being in decimal. But any of these can be represented in any of the values.

Hope this helps.

Al

#5 Al Anderson

Al Anderson

• O'Reilly Author
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:15 PM

The source address should end with 47, not 41.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users