O'Reilly Forums: Web Deployment Projects - O'Reilly Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Web Deployment Projects How do I execute them?

#1 User is offline   mark.norgate 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:42 AM

Hello

I recently bought the book Programming ASP.NET 3.5, which describes Web Deployment Projects and how to configure them. Very nice. However, I have no idea how to execute it in order to perform the actual deployment!

How do I do this? And how do I specify the location for deployment (an http address)?

Thanks, Mark

#2 User is offline   Dan_Maharry 

• PipPip
  • Group: O'Reilly Author

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:33 AM

QUOTE (mark.norgate @ Mar 7 2009, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello

I recently bought the book Programming ASP.NET 3.5, which describes Web Deployment Projects and how to configure them. Very nice. However, I have no idea how to execute it in order to perform the actual deployment!

How do I do this? And how do I specify the location for deployment (an http address)?

Thanks, Mark

You asked this twice, but just in case you're subscribed to this thread and not the other one, here's the answer again.

A web deployment project 'runs' when the web site solution is built, so you just need to compile the web site.

As to specifying the location for deployment, the web deployment tool compiles and prepares web site code for use on a web site. If the web server (IIS) is on the same box as VS, it can create a virtual directory for it automatically. To actually copy the files to a remote address as you want, you'll need to set that up using the Publish Web wizard (the dialog is shown on p1032). Once it is set up, hitting "Publish Web" will recompile the site along with the deployment project and then publish the files generated to your required location.

Hope that helps, Dan
Dan Maharry
Author, Programming ASP.NET 3.5
(home : blog : tumblr)

#3 User is offline   Rajendra Dhakal 

• Pip

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:30 PM

Actually you can test on same system which you are using currently. if you are using Windows system then you can activate your IIS and test it fully when ever you wish..
Rajendra Dhakal

#4 User is offline   Creative management 

• Pip

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:14 PM

QUOTE (Dan_Maharry @ Mar 22 2009, 07:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You asked this twice, but just in case you're subscribed to this thread and not the other one, here's the answer again.

A web deployment project 'runs' when the web site solution is built, so you just need to compile the web site.

As to specifying the location for deployment, the web deployment tool compiles and prepares web site code for use on a web site. If the web server (IIS) is on the same box as VS, it can create a virtual directory for it automatically. To actually copy the files to a remote address as you want, you'll need to set that up using the Publish Web wizard (the dialog is shown on p1032). Once it is set up, hitting "Publish Web" will recompile the site along with the deployment project and then publish the files generated to your required location.

Hope that helps, Dan

i have an problem while uploading the page on web

offline its working properly but when i am uploading through filezilla on the web following error was displayed

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

#5 User is offline   laylaa 

• Pip

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:25 AM

Asp.Net is really very good language to create web applications and also used for creating windows application.after opening visual studio 2005,2008 or any version you have to click on website from file menu in new then you can start coding and all things there.

good luck!!
:)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users