• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Data Files For The Examples

#1 User is offline   crorella 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:23 AM

Hi,

there are several examples (on the workshops) were there are references to files with the data to analyze, my question is, are those files available for download?

Regards

#2 User is offline   Kent Johnson 

• Pip

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:10 PM

I agree, the datasets for the chapter examples and workshops would be helpful.

#3 User is offline   janert 

• Pip
  • Group: O'Reilly Author

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:47 AM

I will pull together some of the data files and listings and make them available for download on this site.

Also keep in mind that many suitable data sets are available on the web - check out the list of repositories on p498.

#4 User is offline   davidtakahashi 

• Pip

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE (janert @ Jan 5 2011, 10:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will pull together some of the data files and listings and make them available for download on this site.

Also keep in mind that many suitable data sets are available on the web - check out the list of repositories on p498.

I bought this book and was surprised to not be able to find the downloadable examples. I would like to add my vote for making the working examples available and appreciate your offer to do so. I am looking forward to seeing where you about to take us. The year 2011 promises to be a year chock full of big data applications. Thanks for helping to prepare us!

Thank you Phillip!

#5 User is offline   mdb06f 

• Pip

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:45 AM

There is an error in the data set that corresponds to the code on Ch.2 pg. 41 (Calculating kernel density estimates). Since the operator 'usecols' for the numpy command 'loadtxt' recognizes empty space as the delineator between columns, the president name 'Van Buren' throws an error. This can be fixed by adding a hyphen to the data set between 'Van' and 'Buren' in the 'presidents' data set. Technically not the spelling of that president's name, but is the simplest way to get the script to work. Hope this helps anyone who also ran into this problem!

This post has been edited by mdb06f: 03 May 2011 - 10:46 AM

#6 User is offline   stsybyshev 

• Pip

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:58 PM

Nice, but it seems the data for Chapter 4 workshop (callcenter calls) is missing.
It is not in the datasets.zip, nor in the site mentioned in "PUBLIC DATASETS.txt" (http://robjhyndman.c...dldata/data/...)

#7 User is offline   craigmart 

• Pip

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:58 PM

IT happen only If the owner of the website allow you or give option to download the data files. But some of the website owner does not share such kind of things with the users and allow them to download the data set files.
craig

#8 User is offline   David krsty 

• Pip

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:31 AM

Yes I agree with your point.

#9 User is offline   DerekHarter 

• Pip

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:49 AM

View Poststsybyshev, on 08 June 2011 - 06:58 PM, said:

Nice, but it seems the data for Chapter 4 workshop (callcenter calls) is missing.
It is not in the datasets.zip, nor in the site mentioned in "PUBLIC DATASETS.txt" (http://robjhyndman.c...dldata/data/...)

A me too here. I'm really enjoying the book (thanks Dr. Janert!) and have gotten to the workshop on chapter 4. It looks like the call center data set is missing from the file of them you provided, and is not mentioned as one of the publicly available ones. Can someone give a pointer to this data set, or post it and make it available?

This post has been edited by DerekHarter: 06 October 2011 - 11:50 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users