7 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisFS

ChrisFS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:58 PM

Hi,

I got the book. I haven't read it yet (just got it and been busy). I hope it makes a great part two to the Head First Programming. The Chapter about moving programs to Android sounds exciting. Was hoping for more chapters on Guis like Tkinter.

#2 nikhil389

nikhil389

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 04:22 AM

I am looking forward to read this.

#3 memilanuk

memilanuk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (ChrisFS @ Dec 7 2010, 11:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope it makes a great part two to the Head First Programming.

It does... almost makes HF Programming seem more like 'HF Python Lite'. The string formatting and processing stuff doesn't get touched much in HF Python (at least, not in the first 250 pages or so...) so you might want to keep HF Programming nearby for some bits.

The Chapter about moving programs to Android sounds exciting.

The web templating has me intriqued... starting to think about giving Web2Py a run for a project I have in mind after I finish the book.

Was hoping for more chapters on Guis like Tkinter.

I know, me too. I use (primarily) a Mac for a lot of my programming, and getting PyGame up and running on it has been literally more of a PITA than its worth. If there is one area of Python that kind of disappoints me its that I thought it would be less of a pain to setup and do graphics program, but the schism between Python 2.x and 3.x seems to have made that even worse and I can kind of see why they didn't wanna touch it wink.gif

#4 paulbarry

paulbarry

Advanced Member

• O'Reilly Author
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:14 AM

Head First Python targets a different audience to Head First Programming. HF Python was created to get programmers of other languages up-to-speed with Python in as short a time-span as possible. It wasn't possible to cover everything - that's not the Head First Way, anyway - but, when writing HF Python, I always tried to put myself in the brain of, say, a Java or C++ programmer coming to this material for the first time.

So... stuff like string formatting, which you'll find in nearly every other programming language, is very similar in Python, so I didn't put that in (figuring that those that need it could find it on their own, anyway). It's in HF Programming because David and I thought of it as a fundamental concept that applied to many programming languages, not just Python. With the new book, I've tried to concentrate on the stuff that is more specific to Python. So, there's more on Python constructs like comprehensions, objects, properties, and so on. Yes, there's no GUI stuff per se, however, the material on creating Android apps and web applications present a graphical front-end to the user of the developed programs... not exactly a "standalone" GUI like Tkinter or GTK or Cocoa produce, but graphical all the same.

Writing a book like this is - unfortunately - all about compromises. If I'd put everything in, it'd be about 1500 pages!!! Coming from HF Programming to HF Python is a nice route to take... however, I've tried to ensure that there's not a lot of overlap while continuing to service the target readership of HF Python, which is (as I mentioned above): "programmers of other languages who need to get up-to-speed with Python in as short a time-span as possible".

Our very loyal and appreciative readers of HF Programming are lucky: they are already well on their way to being top-class Python programmers.

Regards, and thanks for the comments - keep 'em coming! :-)

Paul.

#5 memilanuk

memilanuk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:28 AM

QUOTE (paulbarry @ Dec 11 2010, 03:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Writing a book like this is - unfortunately - all about compromises. If I'd put everything in, it'd be about 1500 pages!!!

No doubt! I guess there isn't a need for a second 'Learning Python'! biggrin.gif

#6 paulbarry

paulbarry

Advanced Member

• O'Reilly Author
  • 307 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:19 AM

Yes, the world already has a perfectly good "Learning Python". :-)

#7 brian.py

brian.py

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:34 PM

I'm really enjoying the book. I consider myself an amateur programmer. I studied physics in college; they taught me Fortran 77 (yuck!). In my current job I've taught myself some VB.NET and written some small projects for customers, but that's the extent of my experience. I've never written anything for the web or mobile devices, but I'm halfway through chapter 8 right now, and I'm impressed with how fast the Head First approach gets you going on those things.

I'm also excited about the potential of writing classes utilizing Python list comprehensions that I can implement in VB.NET projects that would otherwise be more time consuming to write in VB.

Brian

Edited by brian.py, 03 January 2011 - 09:35 PM.

#8 paulbarry

paulbarry

Advanced Member

• O'Reilly Author
  • 307 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 01:17 AM

Thanks for the positive comments. :-)

If you are using .NET a lot, check out IronPython which is a port of Python 2 to the .NET environment. It is sponsored by Microsoft, so tightly integrates with the .NET framework. Worth a look: http://ironpython.net/

--Paul.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users