Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ch. 2 Instructions Are Very Confusing

#1 User is offline   steve_cooley 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:05 AM

I don't think I've ever run across an instructional book so thoroughly full of vague directions.

It's hard to tell when the author is merely mentioning something in passing or as a prelude to instructions coming up or are we reading actual instructions that we should follow. For instance, on page 62 where the "handwritten" comments tell us "In order for CSS to work its magic, we need to tell our template files where they can find the stylesheet. This bit of markup goes in the <head> element, which can be found in the header.php template." Are we being told to insert this bit of markup? I see no formal instruction telling me to do so as this segment is written in the "casual" style of the handwriting and the tone is not instructional but more conversational.

Then on page 64 we are instructed to change the font to Georgia and are shown examples next to this instruction. This works fine for me and I see the words Acme Bit Blog and Our Bits Are Better now in Georgia. However in later examples shown in the book the font for this part has reverted back to a sans serif but I don't see anywhere in the instructions where we are asked to change it back.

Now on page 71 we are asked to copy and paste some code. However we are told to paste it just below the RESET portion. Do we paste it over the existing code below that section? Do we paste it between the RESET portion and the rest of the existing code?

And that's as far as I have gotten. I have been going over pages 63 to 71 again and again. It's obvious this part of the book hasn't been tested as written.

I've read the update for this chapter but I can't see that it addresses my concerns above. Even in the update we are still instructed to paste the page 71 code below the RESET section but we are not told if we are meant to replace the existing code beneath that section or merely insert our copied code in this location.

Thanks for any advice or help. Sorry to be so long-winded.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users