7 replies to this topic

#1 jsiarto

jsiarto

• O'Reilly Author
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:41 PM

Hey everyone-

I spent some time tonight updating the Acme theme process from Chapter 2. I've posted the update in the form of an Acme Bit blog post: http://acme.headfirs...ss-walkthrough/

You can see the theme in action and also read through the post about the updates. Hopefully this will help clear up any confusion.

Thanks,
Jeff

#2 20julio09

20julio09

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 08:59 AM

QUOTE (jsiarto @ Dec 3 2010, 11:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey everyone-
I spent some time tonight .......
2. Navigate to the newly created theme (acme) and open style.css in your favorite text editor. I like Textmate
Jeff

Hi Jeff, When you say "open style.css in your favorite text editor"; I have a question about that and about of what is the best way to work.

Q: Can you open on your text editor a file like style.css that is in the server OR you have to copy the file first to your computer and then open it with the text editor ?

Q: What is the routine that you follow when you need to edit code in a file that is on the server?

This is one of the things that has taken me more time to formalize, the way you work, I have not been able to standardize it.

Julio

#3 VittorioFrigo

VittorioFrigo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:44 PM

(Point 5) "At this point, make sure you have the chapter 2 material downloaded" etc.

I'm lost.

Why do I have to refer to some files downloaded instead that to the manual? Why don't those files appear there?

The words "acme_static" NEVER appear in the pdf manual.

Can't we be a little more formal, please?

Vittorio

#4 VittorioFrigo

VittorioFrigo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 01:24 PM

Well,
I finish applying the corrections to the acme theme, as suggested in your walkthrough.

It strikes me that I would have never been capable of doing these modifications.
... have I misinterpreted the prerequisites for this course?

Why do we get all this CSS thrown at us as a matter-of-fact?

I'm a bit discouraged. Vittorio, Sunday night 10 pm.

Edited by VittorioFrigo, 05 December 2010 - 01:29 PM.

#5 faddah

faddah

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:zen dawg medi-'tater in pdx, techno-geek, gypsy-jazzer, djangophile, pleasure activist, beer snob.

Posted 05 December 2010 - 11:56 PM

QUOTE (jsiarto @ Dec 3 2010, 11:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey everyone-

I spent some time tonight updating the Acme theme process from Chapter 2. I've posted the update in the form of an Acme Bit blog post: http://acme.headfirs...ss-walkthrough/

You can see the theme in action and also read through the post about the updates. Hopefully this will help clear up any confusion.

Thanks,
Jeff

hi jeff,

thank you for re-doing this for us and listening to our feedback. sorry it took me a while to try this out, been real busy this weekend.

tonight, i followed these new instructions, just as you wrote them, and everything worked fine now. i was even able to go into the "style.css" file and figure where to go, under the "#content" css rules, and change the fonts around a bit.

my page now looks like it's supposed to under chapter 2. here's a screen shot —

screen_shot_1.png

thank you for hearing our feedback and helping us work this out. for those that are still having problems, i read the head first html/css book before taking this course, and have found what i learned in there quite useful, thus far.

thank you again, jeff.

sincerely,

— faddah wolf
portland, oregon

laugh.gif wink.gif cool.gif

#6 jhutchtor

jhutchtor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:07 AM

I must say I was looking at this book as a manual for a training course on WordPress. I must say this is the most long winded and convoluted way of doing this. Aside from the obvious mistakes of not placing the style sheet where it was supposed to be.

I'm not sure why you simply don't create a new style sheet that overrides the existing one. The site would load the CSS from the parent theme and then if we added our own CSS style sheet to the acme (child) theme, we'd have the basic styles and then our own. This would make the required changes.

Not sure why you would copy the entire parent theme folder to the child theme. This would create duplicate files and lead to lots of confusion. the child them should only consist of new files unique to our child theme. We use these new files to override the parent theme.

In my opinion, you should not copy the entire theme folder, but override the existing files with one you have written yourself. It's easier to maintain and set up and you know where everything is coming from. By doing it your way, it can quickly become a mess.

I will have to continue my search for a better manual that is less confusing and doesn't make it difficult for people to create and maintain a site.

#7 lobterm

lobterm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 12:20 AM

thank for share new update

#8 tleonline

tleonline

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts