Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

VB.NET???

#1 User is offline   redrobin 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:18 PM

I need to learn ASP.NET but first I need a good book on VB.NET. (I took a 5-day course in it last year but have not used it so I have forgotten tons.) I am wondering if reading HF's bookon C# would help me at all. I was told that VB.NET and C# are very similar. I am only a beginner and so confused. I like HF's books as I find it easy to learn from them and this is why I am asking if you think that the C# book would be a good one for me to read.

Any comments?

#2 User is offline   mikefarinha 

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Business, IT, Learning

Posted 20 March 2008 - 03:44 PM

On the surface VB.NET and C# look very different to beginners. However once you learn the underlying structure of one it shouldn't be too hard to apply to the other.

Don't wait for a Head First VB.NET book, dig into the HF C# book, you wont be disappointed.
-Mike

#3 User is offline   redrobin 

• PipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:47 PM

I was hoping you would say that - that they were similar. I will get the book. At least it may teach me some of the basics of programming.

I can't find a single book out there that teaches the basic principals!

#4 User is offline   Waugh 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:girls

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:30 PM

Once you learn C#, you won't want to bother going back to VB. =)

Patrick

#5 User is offline   daviangel 

• PipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2008 - 08:42 PM

(mikefarinha)
On the surface VB.NET and C# look very different to beginners. However once you learn the underlying structure of one it shouldn't be too hard to apply to the other.

Don't wait for a Head First VB.NET book, dig into the HF C# book, you wont be disappointed.

Yup C# and VB are so similar now it doesn't matter. You'll find plenty of online VB to C# code converters. That should tell you how similar they are.
They work for like 99% of the code and the last 1% you'll have to manully convert over which isn't too difficult since I"v ported quite a number of my old VB.net apps to C# and vice versa in the past.
Actually I like VB's loose style compared to C#.
If it wasn't for Microsoft treating VB as a 2nd class citizen by providing support for C# before VB in all things like documentation, code examples, XNA game support,etc I'd probably still be using VB.
You've heard of the story of Mort haven't you?

http://www.panopticoncentral.net/archive/2...1/14/22589.aspx
Lack of braces,lack of semicolons at the end of each statement,etc make VB alot easier to use. If anything it's alot less typing for sure.
If Python one of the best languages ever IMHO can do without them as VB I don't see why C# couldn't?

#6 User is offline   jskeet 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:04 PM

Note that VB and C# are beginning to diverge again. VB 9 and C# 3 have taken slightly different routes - VB 9 has support for far more LINQ standard query operators directly in the language, and also has XML support in the language. However, it doesn't have as much linguistic power in terms of lambda expressions.

Personally it's the braces and semi-colons which make me prefer C#. Typing speed isn't a problem for me, but readability is king, and I find C# much more readable than VB smile.gif

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users