O'Reilly Forums: Pros And Cons Of Azure Storage Being Strongly Consistent - O'Reilly Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pros And Cons Of Azure Storage Being Strongly Consistent data consistency model

#1 User is offline   codingoutloud 

• Pip
  • Group: O'Reilly Author

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:55 AM

Hi Sriram,

In your book, you mention that Azure Storage is strongly consistent.

Other cloud platforms provide storage solutions that are eventually consistent. [1]

Can you talk about some of the trade-offs the Azure team grappled with in deciding to go with a strongly consistent model?

I see the simplification to the programming model where I can, say, save a something in Azure Storage, enqueue a reference to it, and not have to worry about that reference being dequeued for processing, but then not resolving (if the "eventual" in eventually consistent has not yet caught up).

Are there other advantages? What are the down-sides to the approach?

Thanks,
-Bill

Reference:
[1] S3 is eventually consistent

#2 User is offline   sriramk 

• PipPip
  • Group: O'Reilly Author

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:12 PM

QUOTE (codingoutloud @ Jul 29 2010, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Sriram,

In your book, you mention that Azure Storage is strongly consistent.

Other cloud platforms provide storage solutions that are eventually consistent. [1]

Can you talk about some of the trade-offs the Azure team grappled with in deciding to go with a strongly consistent model?

I see the simplification to the programming model where I can, say, save a something in Azure Storage, enqueue a reference to it, and not have to worry about that reference being dequeued for processing, but then not resolving (if the "eventual" in eventually consistent has not yet caught up).

Are there other advantages? What are the down-sides to the approach?

Thanks,
-Bill

Reference:
[1] S3 is eventually consistent

I wasn't involved with the storage team so I don't know what exactly they grappled with. I would say though as an app developer who has worked with multiple storage systems, having strong consistency helps make your code easier (as you pointed out). As long as your strongly consistent systems can give you good performance, most normal apps don't need eventual consistency IMHO.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users