• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Windows Azure Database

#1 User is offline   kenajones 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:37 PM

Hi Sriram,

I'm interested in the database component of Windows Azure. Is this based on SQL Server? If so, is the implementation version-specific e.g. SQL 2005 or SQL 2008? I'm wondering if a company's DBA's need to learn any scripting other than standard SQL Server T-SQL and if current apps and scripts will work without modification. Also, and I promise this is the last question, how would we migrate an existing database to Azure?

Thanks very much for this book club, and, of course, your book!

Ken

#2 User is offline   sriramk 

• PipPip
  • Group: O'Reilly Author

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:28 PM

QUOTE (kenajones @ Jul 28 2010, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Sriram,

I'm interested in the database component of Windows Azure. Is this based on SQL Server? If so, is the implementation version-specific e.g. SQL 2005 or SQL 2008? I'm wondering if a company's DBA's need to learn any scripting other than standard SQL Server T-SQL and if current apps and scripts will work without modification. Also, and I promise this is the last question, how would we migrate an existing database to Azure?
Ken

I'm not sure what you mean by implementation specific but in terms of lineage, it is very close to SQL 2k8. The core idea is that you get to reuse any SQL expertise so all your T-SQL skills will be handy smile.gif.

As for data migration, look at SSIS or http://www.microsoft.com/windowsazure/deve...azure/datasync/

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users