• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Events In The Cloud

#1 User is offline   glorsoft 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:06 AM

Hi Sriram,

I bought your book recently. I ordered it specially before it came out. I haven't finished it yet but I'm on the last chapter. So far it's a really good read and I'd like to say thanks for writing it. Over the last while I've attended a lot of Azure workshops (metro programme etc) and with this book I'm finally starting to understand how it all fits together.

One thing I found a bit surprising (and maybe I have just picked this up incorrectly) was that there is no mechanism for receiving an event when an item is inserted into a queue. I can see there's a polling option which raises an event, but is there really no more elegant solution than polling? I had hoped to use events to realise when there is some work to do rather than polling as I need to know about the work almost instantly and don't want to poll every second for example.

Anyway, hope the book club goes well for you.

Thanks,
Eoghan.

#2 User is offline   sriramk 

• PipPip
  • Group: O'Reilly Author

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:42 AM

First, thanks for buying the book. I'm thrilled that you like it!

You really have two questions about queues - (1) a eventing interface and (2) how to get queue messages in near realtime

For (1) you are correct in that there is no eventing interface today. However, you can model one on top of the polling interface and surface it to upper layers of your code

For (2), queues aren't meant for near real time, sub-second latencies consistently. Now, you might see that it does give you sub-second latencies for large period of times but that is not something you can rely on.

You should probably look into the AppFabric Service Bus as well.

#3 User is offline   rajreilly 

• Pip

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:16 AM

The cumulonimbus is the lord of all clouds. It creates the most spectacular events like the thunder and tornadoes. The cumulonimbus is a chimney of moist and warm air that keeps rising, sometimes to the top of our troposphere. Pilots fear them for their turbulence yet glider pilots love them for spiraling under them and gain altitude by their strong convection.

Hdmi Cable | Hdmi Cables

#4 User is offline   Representative 

• Pip

Posted 24 December 2011 - 12:47 PM

Hi
I've bought your book few weeks ago, and it's very interesting.
Thx.

Avon Representative

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users