O'Reilly Forums: Portable Digital Recorders - O'Reilly Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Portable Digital Recorders Questions, answers, and tips on high-quality field recorders

#41 User is offline   Detroitblues 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:07 PM

Monday, February 03, 2009

We manufacture synthetic fur windscreens for many handheld recorders. Below is a list of the ones that we presently sell worldwide, and they are all listed on ebay as a "buy it now" auction. You can find them under "portable electronics\ Sony Windscreen"etc.. Our user name is "hearley" to find all of our products.
We have sold to customers worldwide, and you can check out our possitive feedback on our listings. You can also contact us through our email at lilya39@hotmail.com
Enclosed is a sample of one of our models, a windscreen for the Sony PCM-D1
Thanks for your interest, Harry

Synthetic Fur Windscreens for the:

Sony PCM-D1
Sony PCM-D50
Marantz PCD661
Marantz PCD620
Tascam DR-100
Tascam GR-R1
Tascam DR-1
Edirol R-09
Olympus Ls-10
Zoom H4n
Zoom H4
Zoom H-2
Yamaha Pocketrak 2G

Attached File(s)

#42 User is offline   Andreas K 

• Pip

Posted 07 February 2009 - 06:20 PM

I just made a separate post on the Zoom H2 and mic patterns. Relating it to a much more expensive mic with similar setup of four mic capsules. It can be found here:

http://forums.oreilly.com/index.php?s=&...post&p=2683

#43 User is offline   LifeSoundz 

• Pip

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:59 AM

Hello all.

I recently stepped into the world of digital recording and, quite simply, I'm finding it difficult to digest the wealth of information available.

I'm seeking your professional opinions to find the digital recording device that will suit my needs.

Here are the primary tasks the device will be used for:

recording interviews (both quiet and noisy environments)
recording lectures (from small conference rooms to large lecture halls)
recording music (singing in small practice rooms to concerts)
personal dictations

Some friends have pointed me in the direction of olympus recorders- primarily the DS-71 and the LS-10.
I've looked over some reviews, but I feel unqualified to discern between the two.

Also, I stumbled across a website- startstop.com that apparently offer personal price quoting.
I was a bit suspicious when I heard they were offering the LS-10 for $319 as opposed to the retail price.
If anyone has prior experience with this company, please let me know if they are reliable.

I look forward to your inputs and appreciate your wisdom on the matter.
Thank you.

#44 User is offline   WMLWMN-2009 

• Pip

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:43 PM

Hello, all,

Because I'm interested in maybe purchasing one, I have one overall question about the Zoom H2, plus some related sub-questions.

Have tried contacting Zoom directly in Japan (info[at]zoom[dot]co[dot]jp), but still no reply.

Many Thanks in Advance to All Answerers..!

WH
---
Overall Question:
What is the maximum possible length (in hours) of single-file playback time while using the Zoom H2's AC adapter?
---
Sub-Questions:
I need a continuous playback time of at least 8 hours duration, as well as with a wide audio spectrum.
1) Is this possible to do this with the H2 if the SD card has enough GB memory?

2) If so, how many GB should the SD card have? (Would a Toshiba SD-C32GT4 32 GB card be enough for 8 hours of wide audio spectrum?)

A major concern is getting at least 8 hours of seamless continuous sound.
3) Will one file on an SD card be sufficient for such an 8-hour playback?

4) If not, how many files would be necessary for 8 hours of continuous playback?

5) If more than one file is necessary, what is the transition time between files?

6) If more than one file is necessary, is there any way to 'smooth' the file transition time so that it sounds seamless?

Cutting down recording time without using anything other than the H2 is also important.
7) Would it be possible to make a one-hour recording on the H2, then copy it 7 times within the same file, resulting in a single 8-hour recording, using only the H2 and no personal computer?

#45 User is offline   DavidBattino 

• O'Reilly Digital Media Editor
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE (WMLWMN-2009 @ Feb 19 2009, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What is the maximum possible length (in hours) of single-file playback time while using the Zoom H2's AC adapter?

Stereo, 16-bit, 44.1kHz WAV files (i.e., CD resolution recordings) consume about 10MB per minute. That multiplies out to 600MB per hour. So 8 hours of CD-resolution sound would take 4,800MB or about 4.7GB. (I divided by 1,024.) The H2 supports cards up to 32GB, though the maximum file size is 2GB, which equates to 3 hours and 24 minutes.

It's said most people can't distinguish between 16/44.1 WAV files and 192kbps MP3s, so if you went the MP3 route, you could get significantly longer recordings. Let's see...

1 hr | 1 min | 1 sec | 8 kb | 1024 KB | 1024 MB
--------------------------------------------------- = 12.14 hr/GB
60 min | 60 sec | 192 kb | 1 KB | 1 MB | 1 GB

Therefore, 2GB should give you 24 hours and 16 minutes of recording time at 192kbps MP3 resolution.

Zoom's Japanese site estimates 23 hours. Here's the table.

Happy recording!
David Battino
Audio Editor
O'Reilly Digital Media

#46 User is offline   brandobean 

• PipPip

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:14 PM

SOME NEW RECORDERS ANNOUNCED AND MY THOUGHTS:
Saw your post, David, about the new NAMM 09 recorder

Those devices look cool. I'm unique because I'm torn between the following use cases. I'll dissect how this matches what you posted above in a moment...

1. ** Record a loud band practice or show **
MUST HAVE:
* Ability to plug in my ATM-822 mic (which terminates in either mini-plug or 1/4" jacks)
* Decent sounding built in mics that capture low end (rules out the Yamaha CX and Olympus models)
* Ease in setting levels
NICE TO HAVE:
* Since I compress/add reverb with my computer later, don't need them but a limiter would be nice.
* Long battery life
* Small size and ability to plug in a set of stealth binaural eyeglasses mics I own.

2. ** Quickly demo a new song **
MUST HAVE:
* ability to overdub a track or two on top of a 2 track stereo recording
* some degree of compression / reverb
* Ability to punch in/out manually
NICE TO HAVE:
* Ability to record guitar directly, with effects
* ease of use for 4 tracking

WHAT NAMM 2009 MEANS TO ME:
I like my friends H4 OK. I use it w/ my ATM-822 ($250) which makes it sound better than all the other current recorders built in mics. It's rather huge and not pocketable though. Battery life sucks, and sound quality is only OK (mics are up there with the Edirol, better than Tascam, Olympus, and Yamaha CX)so... I was looking at the H4N

ZOOM H4-N:
PROS: Offers better construction, and better UI, battery life, ability to record SNBD+mics for matrix tapes at shows. Better UI for 4 tracking w/ effects. Improved MIC pre's.
CONS: Spendier than H4, still huge.
CONCLUSION: I'm interested. Wish it was smaller/cheaper.

ROLAND DR-07:
PROS: Like the DR-1 only smaller & cheaper.
CONS: Mics are only OK (if same as DR1). No guitar effects or overdubbing.
CONCLUSION: How is this different than the current Olympus models? Same size, similar features.

TASCAM DP-004: http://www.tascam.com/products/dp-004.html
You didn't mention this but it's a new tiny 4-track w/ built in stereo condensor mics & easy to use controls. Geared more for the 4-track demo, I love it's form factor. I'd buy it TODAY but, it doesn't have any reverb/compression or effects. What!? That makes it no better than the H4N.

Belkin iPod Podcast Studio: http://www.macfriends.com/belkin-gostudio-...ast-studio.aspx

You didn't mention this either but this $120 device turns your iPod 5G or new Nano into a 2-track recorder w/ bult in mics & the ability to use XLR mics! If you already own an iPod, why not use its huge 80+GB drive to give you nearly unlimited space.

PROS: Cheap. can use XLR mics. Has a limiter. easy to use.
CONS: Clumsy, unsure of battery life. No effects.

Anyway, enjoy. Me? I'm looking at the new Zoom.

#47 User is offline   DavidBattino 

• O'Reilly Digital Media Editor
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:42 PM

Thanks, Brandobean. I replied to you over in that blog, "Digital Music Discoveries at NAMM 2009," but to recap, the H4n does look very capable. It is chunky, but the size permits a bigger screen and XLR inputs.

I also suggested checking out the Boss Micro BR multitracker (see our review) and Alesis ProTrack, a Belkin competitor.
David Battino
Audio Editor
O'Reilly Digital Media

#48 User is offline   pdxotica 

• PipPip

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE (LifeSoundz @ Feb 19 2009, 07:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some friends have pointed me in the direction of olympus recorders- primarily the DS-71 and the LS-10.
I've looked over some reviews, but I feel unqualified to discern between the two.

Also, I stumbled across a website- startstop.com that apparently offer personal price quoting.
I was a bit suspicious when I heard they were offering the LS-10 for $319 as opposed to the retail price.
If anyone has prior experience with this company, please let me know if they are reliable.

I look forward to your inputs and appreciate your wisdom on the matter.
Thank you.

I recently purchased an LS10 on eBay, new in box, for about 290. Shipping free via FedEx, no complaints. Better prices than retail are definitely out there.

#49 User is offline   washington678 

• Pip

Posted 07 July 2009 - 05:32 PM

Cheers and we look forward to your Forum Favourites selections!

pret auto

#50 User is offline   MackSonne 

• Pip

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:40 AM

Hey guys,

Am new here to your forums, and am new to the portable recorders thing too. Am wondering what recorders would do well for a heavy metal music setting in a jam room? I'm most concerned, like Brandobean, about the ability to capture the lower bass ends of the frequency spectrum, while being able to decently capture the mids and highs, as well as not run my neck near distorted frequencies at the loud levels we play.

I've heard the Olympus LS-10 and the Zoom H4N, they seem not bad. Some guy at some shop downtown was recommending me the Microtrack II, saying that even the LOST production people used it for each episode.... But I'm guessing they would have used an external mic! What say you guys?

#51 User is offline   rickyvamp 

• Pip

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:06 AM

Waiting for my Olympus LS-10: what I can do with it?

Sometimes I bought near state of the art objects and devices only for the pleasure to own them. This is the time of the Olympus LS-10, after a DM-10.
I am not a musician and I don't go to concerts, I don't make interviews and very rarely go to conferences and reunions, so now I am thinking about the utilization of this recorder.

I found hi fi audio capture fascinating, in every form so I am looking for suggestions about original recordings of white noises, psicofony, sound effects and much more.
One of my other interest is photografy so an idea may be to join audio recording to shooting photos, I am Ham Radio licensee too so recording radio may be another use of the recorder.
Please, suggest me any other possibility to use my LS-10

ps (I should buy the new LS-11 but it is silver and I like more the black LS-10)

#52 User is offline   Rick1981 

• Pip

Posted 03 November 2009 - 07:42 PM

Hi i`m looking to buy a decent digital audio recorder for mostly recording ambiances, sound effects and other such things. The sound quality has to be pretty decent and also looking for something fairly cheap!I understand the Zoom H2 is fairly cheap but has not got great sound quality, so what does everyone recommend?

#53 User is offline   lisajones 

• Pip

Posted 27 February 2010 - 02:05 PM

Hello there. I'm using the Edirol R-09h and am looking for a lapel (lavalier) mic that I can use for interviews along with it. I'm looking for something mid-range (around £80) and something that ideally is dynamic, but am happy to hear any recommendations out there.

Any ideas chaps?

#54 User is offline   88notes 

• Pip

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:01 AM

HI there,

Advice required. Of the glut of portable recorders out there, it is not entirely clear to me how each handle input gain for external mics, specifically which offer "true" variable gain on the mic input. By this I mean that you either turn a knob or use the digital display to control the ANALOG input gain of the external mic input.

For example, I know the H4n offers this ability, and that the H2 does not. There are reasons why I don't want the H4n.

Now I see several recent units by Alesis, Yamaha, iKey, Olympus LS-11, Sony PCM-M10 and the imminent Tascam Dr-08. These mostly say things like "variable input gain" but are never particularly clear whether this is a variable ANALOG gain control (like the H4n) or a fixed gain with digital uselessness like the H2.

I'm looking at the £200-£300 price range. External mic inputs of the 3.5mm stereo type required.

This input analog gain is my main requirement (as well as the preamp being of decent quality) and I can live without a good deal of other features (including on-board mics) just to get this. I'm surprised that no-one is screaming this feature as I guess it is as useful to others as it would be for me!

Perhaps there is there an online comparison chart that I haven't yet found?

Thanks!

#55 User is offline   Willie Lee 

• Pip

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:43 PM

Just ordered the Roland R-05 from Sweetwater sound... can't wait to test it!

#56 User is offline   jcnmusic 

• Pip

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:36 AM

Recommendations and comments please ... I am looking to purchase portable digital recorder: $300-$500. To be used as follows:

1. Live Performances, , mostly duo and trio- instruments and vocals - line feed off board
2. For review and critique
3. For Demo purposes - creating mp3s/CDs to send to clubs etc "This is what we sound like. No mixes no fixes. what you hear is what you get.
4. Would also like to link to live video - time code
5. Reliability, durability - and sound quality
6. Relatively easy to use - I am NOT a tech nut

Thanks for the help!

#57 User is offline   Sony PCM-D50 

• Pip

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:24 PM

Hi
actually I want to buy sony pcm-d50
but the problem is I am from middle east,,, and in our countries are using Input Voltage: 240VAC.
but the sony pcm-d50 has adopter with Input Voltage: 120VAC, and that could burn the equipment.
and unfortunately we dont have this recorder in my country.
so what is the solution ???
thanks

#58 User is offline   the wolfling 

• Pip

Posted 11 September 2010 - 04:21 AM

QUOTE (Sony PCM-D50 @ Aug 23 2010, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi
actually I want to buy sony pcm-d50
but the problem is I am from middle east,,, and in our countries are using Input Voltage: 240VAC.
but the sony pcm-d50 has adopter with Input Voltage: 120VAC, and that could burn the equipment.
and unfortunately we dont have this recorder in my country.
so what is the solution ???
thanks

You could buy one from Western Europe (websites in Germany and UK have some decent deals). Most countries in Western Europe are on 240V. What kind of plugs do you use in your country?

Alternatively, you could get one without the power supply and just buy a 6V DC power supply in your own country. Make sure that the POLARITY is correct and that it can supply the power (Ampères) that the Sony needs BEFORE plugging it in though.

#59 User is offline   poundpit 

• Pip
  • Interests:portable digital recorders

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:39 PM

Thanks you,very much
Digital portable recorders

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic