O'Reilly Forums: Are Ec2 Elastic Ip's And Availability Zones Covered - O'Reilly Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Are Ec2 Elastic Ip's And Availability Zones Covered

#1 User is offline   Willem 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 April 2008 - 11:56 PM

James

Thanks for this book. It looks excellent! Can't wait to get my hands on one.

I was wondering if the book covers the newly announced EC2 elastic IP's and availability zones, seeing that this enhances the nature of the EC2 offering quit substantially.

(The predicament of any "dead tree" book is that it can not always reflect all the latest advancements in the topics that it covers. Therefore, even if one could get some sort of online additional info to the book's content regarding elastic IP's, it would be very helpful.)

BTW, I am looking forward to getting my copy (and I am very happy that it uses Ruby)

Best regards
Willem

#2 User is offline   JamesMurty 

• PipPip

Posted 09 April 2008 - 05:08 AM

Hi Willem,

Unfortunately the announcement of Elastic IPs and Availability Zones for EC2 postdated the book's release, so these topics are not discussed in the text.

I am currently drafting a brief article about these new features and will make this available online within the next couple of weeks, along with an updated EC2 sample implementation of the latest API release.

I hope you enjoy the book, and keep an eye on this forum for announcements about follow-up articles.

Cheers,
James

#3 User is offline   Willem 

• Pip

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:41 AM

James

Thank you very much! It is much appreciated!

Regards
Willem

QUOTE (James Murty @ Apr 9 2008, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Willem,

Unfortunately the announcement of Elastic IPs and Availability Zones for EC2 postdated the book's release, so these topics are not discussed in the text.

I am currently drafting a brief article about these new features and will make this available online within the next couple of weeks, along with an updated EC2 sample implementation of the latest API release.

I hope you enjoy the book, and keep an eye on this forum for announcements about follow-up articles.

Cheers,
James

#4 User is offline   Willem 

• Pip

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:59 AM

James

You have probably seen the following:
http://developer.amazonwebservices.com/con...82&tstart=0

(Amazon is really not making it easy for a book author to keep the published book up to date smile.gif )

To me this is even better news than the announcement about the elastic IP's. This could now make EC2 a fully viable (even better?) alternative to the "traditional" web application hosting options.

Eventually extending your book with info about this would be much welcomed smile.gif

BTW, I have ordered the book and are now keenly awaiting its delivery:)

Best regards
Willem
Ps. I would not want to post to this forum with each new feature that is being released, because new features are typically always going to be added to any successful product. However, these are such "paradigm shifting" features, that your expert opinion on these are greatly appreciated.

#5 User is offline   JamesMurty 

• PipPip

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:03 PM

Hi Willem,

I did indeed see the recent announcement about the Persistent Storage support that will be added to EC2 later this year. I commented on it briefly on my blog (jamesmurty.com) but unfortunately I am not one of the lucky ones with early access to this upcoming feature, so I must defer to those who have access for more in-depth coverage.

I am looking forward to testing the feature once it is publicly available, and will provide code updates to the EC2 implementations available from the downloads page.

The best thing about all the recent EC2 announcements is that they require only simple API updates, but they expose powerful new ways of using servers in the cloud. Like you, I think we are reaching the stage where Amazon's EC2 is much more powerful and flexible than traditional hardware hosting platforms.

#6 User is offline   JamesMurty 

• PipPip

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:01 AM

I have posted an article to my blog with information about the features in the latest EC2 release, as well as example code for using the updated EC2 client available in the sample code archive:

http://www.jamesmurty.com/2008/04/29/progr...ion-2008-02-01/

Enjoy,
James

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users