O'Reilly Forums: Do you want to see a specific Head First book written? - O'Reilly Forums

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do you want to see a specific Head First book written?

#1 User is offline   tonyvh37 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:PC stuff - Gaming to Programming

Posted 05 June 2007 - 04:38 AM

If you have an idea on a book that you would like to see written head first style then use the Suggestion Form to submit it.

Tony

#2 User is offline   mshirley82 

• Pip
  • Interests:Playing Games & Programming

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:18 AM

I would love to see some of these converted into textbooks with a test format and useable files. I am already using Head First Java in the classroom and will be using Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML this spring. My students purchase their own copies as they school has yet to approve it as a textbook. The topics of Algebra and Calculus is great, but do a whole math series: Geometry, Trig and maybe even Consumer Economics (yes even geeks need to learn life skills).

I'd also on the technical side like to see one for VB.Net

#3 User is offline   eebb 

• Pip

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:46 PM

I'm a huge fan of many of your books, but I am still a bit dumb-founded as to why you guys haven't jumped on the .NET Framework bandwagon. I've been developing .NET applications since 2002 and I still haven't seen anything from you in your Head series. Are you guys aware of how powerful this framework is and is here to stay? Bill Gate made one of the most audacious statements in the history of business in 2001 and it went something like this: "I am so confident in .NET and the future of it, that I bet the company on it!". Don't you know Java is dead and how many companies and supporters of it are abandoning ship at an alarming rate?

Please notify me if anything is down the pipeline because I can't wait! Maybe a rewrite of your Java or OO books in .NET would be very nice!

#4 User is offline   AndreCardoso 

• Pip
  • Interests:Computers, Software Development, SQL, .NET

Posted 20 July 2007 - 06:06 AM

I think with the current trend in computing (more cores - CPU), functional languages are gaining acceptance (and in .NET even being incorporated into the ecosystem C# 3.0 with Linq, F#), there should be a Head First Functional Programming/F#/C#3-Linq (some of it).

Andr Cardoso

#5 User is offline   bob5820 

• Pip

Posted 31 July 2007 - 05:40 PM

I've enjoyed the Java series and am currently making my way through the HTML book. I'd like to see a Headfirst book on Python

#6 User is offline   Marion 

• Pip
  • Interests:ancient history, science history, physics

Posted 03 August 2007 - 01:37 AM

I'd like a book on PHP, I'm studying for my ZCE, but the Zend Certifcation Guide is so ... well you know... so how about Head First PHP (& MySQL)?

#7 User is offline   rogue 

• Pip
  • Interests:computer and video gaming, film, literature

Posted 18 September 2007 - 12:04 PM

I see you are getting ready to release a C# book. Excellent. The next logical step would be ASP.NET.

#8 User is offline   mikefarinha 

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Business, IT, Learning

Posted 18 September 2007 - 02:43 PM

I concur with rogue, Head First ASP.NET would be fantastic!

I would also love a Head First treatment of ADO.NET.... or maybe a Head Rush ADO.NET?

#9 User is offline   rogue 

• Pip
  • Interests:computer and video gaming, film, literature

Posted 19 September 2007 - 09:38 AM

(mikefarinha)
I concur with rogue, Head First ASP.NET would be fantastic!

I would also love a Head First treatment of ADO.NET.... or maybe a Head Rush ADO.NET?

Yes!

I should also point out that any ASP.NET book should focus on data-driven applications. So a discussion on ADO.NET - either as part of an ASP.NET book or as a separate text - would be great.

#10 User is offline   abosseen 

• Pip
  • Interests:Information Technologies

Posted 23 September 2007 - 07:54 PM

I really would like to see a book about preparing for the ITIL Foundation Exam Certification....

ITIL: Information Technology Infrastructure Library

#11 User is offline   Phil Cole 

• Pip

Posted 04 November 2007 - 12:17 AM

I've been a .NET developer for almost as long as its been in the frame. The fact that the HF books I've read so far have all been JAVA centric doesn't matter. If anything its kind of refreshing and occationally thought provoking. What I'd love to see more books about would be approaches to real world system integration and connectivity. With SOA gaining popularity in the business/enterprise world a Head First or maybe Head Rush on this subject would be great. Too many of the books I've tried to read on this topic are way too stuffy and never seem to get to the point. I'm sure HF could do a better job.

#12 User is offline   biyat 

• Pip

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:12 PM

I would love to see a head first book on java webservices (SCDJWS certification)..since there are head first books for SCJP, SCBCD, SCWCD..please write a book on SCJWS....

#13 User is offline   hussainm 

• Pip

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:23 PM

php.. yes go ahead and laugh, but HF is amazing and I am loving HFC#... so HFPHP would be awesome!

Also, a HF book on xna game development. The reason I'm interested in finishing this C# book (HF) is so I can program space invaders and the ghost game... I'm very interested in learning game programming, and I can see how perfect a HF book would be for XNA game development... so c'mon... let's get going laugh.gif Any book I pick up regarding game programming.. they're just so long and boring... :X I had fun with allegro but am thinking of learning XNA next...

#14 User is offline   german 

• Pip

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:12 PM

I'd love to see a Head First Python.

smile.gif

#15 User is offline   ncmathsadist 

• Pip
  • Interests:Python, Java, C/C++, Linux, Mathematics

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:10 AM

Head first LINUX would be a most useful volume. This OS is gaining popularity for its speed and reliability. In fact, I see no reason to run 'doze unless you are a hard-core gamer or if you are running some app that is 'doze only.

Things to address (not complete):

[list]
files and file management; permissions
working at the command line
editing with vi
Writing simple programs in Python, Java, C/C++ in LINUX
configuration files and customization
Writing simple shell scripts
[list]

Focus on the most popular distros, Ubuntu and Red Hat.

#16 User is offline   mikefarinha 

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Business, IT, Learning

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:48 AM

I would like to see Head First continue off of current books they already have to cover more advanced topics like Java, C#, SQL, Design Patterns.

I also think the Head Rush series would be good for covering tools, like Dreamweaver, Expression Web, Photoshop, MS SQL Server, Visual Studio, Eclipse, Net Beans, Windows, Linux, etc.
-Mike

#17 User is offline   dabbor 

• Pip

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:14 PM

First of all, I would like to thank you guys for producing Head First C#, it's truly a work of art. I just started reading it. I would love to see a Head First C# Game Programming [XNA & Direct3D] book. Something to build up on the games introduced in HF C#.

#18 User is offline   hensome2004 

• Pip

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:25 AM

There are already lots of excellent Java books. Head First Java is the best among them. And there is also Head First Servlets & JSP. But why isn't there a Head First JSF/MyFaces book? I found JSF technology very convenient and efficient in developing web applications, especially using MyFaces (Trinidad) extension. So I really hope there will be a Head First JSF book coming soon.

#19 User is offline   Zhadoba 

• Pip

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:30 AM

(ncmathsadist)
Head first LINUX would be a most useful volume. This OS is gaining popularity for its speed and reliability. In fact, I see no reason to run 'doze unless you are a hard-core gamer or if you are running some app that is 'doze only.

Things to address (not complete):

[list]
files and file management; permissions
working at the command line
editing with vi
Writing simple programs in Python, Java, C/C++ in LINUX
configuration files and customization
Writing simple shell scripts
[list]

Focus on the most popular distros, Ubuntu and Red Hat.

I totally agree on that. I'm waiting for this title to come up.
And I can't hardly wait to get my hands on Head First Physics.

I loved Head First C# and Head First Java. It took me about 3 weeks to learn them both. Three weeks!! for crying out loud. My teammates we're stunned when I started correcting their code on our project.

Still, in the near future I am hoping to see a title like Head First Math Vol. 1 smile.gif. Really, I would love to see a collection of Head First Math books that covers that subject. Maybe even math applied programming. I would die to read a Head First Math book. And I am drooling after the Physics book smile.gif

Later edit : Oh, and I was thinking about a Head First Assembler book and HF C/C++. I know, they're old school. But many programmers today write code that is either slow or that use incredible amounts of memory because they always take shortcuts. For efficiency you have to think at a basic level.

A million thanks for your books. They are absolutely awesome.

#20 User is offline   Stevenj 

• Pip

Posted 25 May 2008 - 06:57 PM

Hi, I'd like to see you add to your project management book and write a book on program management -- perhaps it also includes portfolio strategy.

Steve

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users