O'Reilly Forums: Here is text for the Chapter 10 ObjectvilleSubway.txt file - O'Reilly Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Here is text for the Chapter 10 ObjectvilleSubway.txt file

#1 User is offline   Marten Kay 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 April 2007 - 01:39 AM

below is the text for the ObjectvilleSubway.txt file for Chapter 10. Copy the text below and paste it into a text file and off you go - watch for extra blank lines as this will cause a Nullpointer.

There is also a typo in the code on page 519, 9th line - the argument should be 'stationName' not 'station'.

And that a newbee has to do this - the ignomy - while the authors and editors are basking away on some desert island.

Subway is a pretty cool little program however - even though it makes you change stations unnecessarily - but that is Dijkstra's fault and subject of another topic....

Ajax Rapids
Algebra Avenue
Boards 'R' Us
Break Neck Pizza
Choc-O-Holic, Inc
CSS Center
Design Patterns Plaza
DRY Drive
EJB Estates
GoF Gardens
Head First Theater
Head First Lounge
HeadFirstLabs
HTML Heights
Infinite Circle
JavaRanch
JSP Junction
LSP Lane
Objectville Diner
Objectville PizzaStore
OCP Orchard
OOA&D Oval
PMP Place
Servlet Springs
SRP Square
SimUDuck Lake
The Tikibean Lounge
UML Walk
Weather-O-Rama, inc.
WebDesignWay
XHTML Expressway

Booch Line
UML Walk
Objectville PizzaStore
HeadFirstLabs
LSP Lane
HTML Heights
Ajax Rapids
UML Walk

Gamma Line
Head First Lounge
OOA&D Oval
Head First Lounge

Jacobson Line
GoF Gardens
Servlet Springs
JavaRanch
JSP Junction
GoF Gardens

Liskov Line
JSP Junction
SRP Square
OCP Orchard
EJB Estates
Design Patterns Plaza
JSP Junction

Meyer Line
SimUDuck Lake
WebDesignWay
DRY Drive
Head First Theater
CSS Center
OOA&D Oval
SimUDuck Lake

Rumbaugh Line
XHTML Expressway
Infinite Circle
Head First Theater
Choc-O-Holic, Inc
XHTML Expressway

Wirfs-Brock Line
Weather-O-Rama, inc.
HTML Heights
UML Walk
The Tikibean Lounge
Head First Lounge
Objectville Diner
Servlet Springs
SRP Square
Break Neck Pizza
EJB Estates
Boards 'R' Us
PMP Place
DRY Drive
Algebra Avenue
LSP Lane
XHTML Expressway
Weather-O-Rama, inc.

#2 User is offline   gpuchtel 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:C++, OO Design, principles and patterns; Grammar's and writing.

Posted 01 April 2007 - 05:41 AM

-- previous content deleted by myself (gpuchtel) --

Note to self: Keep all posts technical in nature.

#3 User is offline   tonyvh37 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:PC stuff - Gaming to Programming

Posted 01 April 2007 - 10:24 AM

qpuchtel, if you are referring to the note at the bottom of marten's post, I believe that was written by Marten. I have been around the forums for some time and have never seen any thing but professionalism out of the bunch. Just make sure to have all the facts before pointing fingers.

#4 User is offline   gpuchtel 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:C++, OO Design, principles and patterns; Grammar's and writing.

Posted 01 April 2007 - 04:18 PM

Tony,

Yes, I was referring to the note at the bottom of Marten's post.

Yes, I was pointing fingers.

Yes, I was ignorant of the forum's format; it looked (to me) as if someone modified it,

No, I did not have all the facts.

Yes, I was wrong (in this regard) and apologize for not having done enough due-diligence.

Yes, I honestly thought a conscientious member was being belittled. In the future, I'll keep my posts technical in nature; however, I still feel the statements (by me and others) regarding author participation is valid, therefore, I'm reconsidering my own participation as well.

#5 User is offline   tonyvh37 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:PC stuff - Gaming to Programming

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:42 PM

I understand the concern, and I am sure its duely noted. I do know for a fact that they are working on getting the code for all the books on the site, but want to know that code is verified that it works properly also. Hopefully within the next couple of months, all the code for all the books will be updated and on the site. I know that is of little concequence to you but the issue that has been brought up is being addressed. You seem to know what you are talking about, so as I go through this book in the coming months hopefully you will be willing to help me out as you have help others out as well.

Tony

#6 User is offline   Marten Kay 

• PipPip

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:03 AM

Tony
1) I think Head First OOAD is a great concept, I love it, I read the book and did the examples. If I had the money, I would buy the company.

2) when doing the book, you get deeply involved in the material, and it becomes bitterly disappointing when web support promised in the book is not provided - especially when you are working hard on a problem. This is not professional marketing.

3) How hard is it to provide the support described in the book, I wrote and debugged the code for subway in a couple of hours - and I hardly know java!

4) This is not the free source community, web and forum support for the Head First series is part of the marketing mix. This is a commercial transaction - I have paid the money and there are expectations to fulfill. I am sure the books are selling well enough to provide resources to produce and post good code. Or maybe I am misunderstanding publishing - the product is so good, these guys should be millionaires.

Anyway, I am over it now, and am awaiting Amazon delivery of HF design patterns. In the meantime, can anybody recommend a good book to follow HFOOAD to reinforce its lessons? I feel I have all the fundamentals, but I would now like a more traditional but accessible reference.

Cheers

Marten

PS. my forum signature is my attempt to get into the funky HF spirit - there are a lot satirical comments in the HF series books from the marketing department

#7 User is offline   mikefarinha 

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Business, IT, Learning

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:18 AM

PS. my forum signature is my attempt to get into the funky HF spirit - there are a lot satirical comments in the HF series books from the marketing department

This makes me wonder...
What Note's From Marketing will be added if they come out with Head First Marketing? (Something I'd very much like to see! Along with HF Accounting, and HF Finance)

But more on topic, I agree with Marten and gpuchtel that recent author participation has been pretty much non-existent on these forums and I wish we'd get a little more attention here at HFLabs. It's disappointing to know that I can usually get more information from JavaRanch.com. For example you can check out this post: Head First Software Development (2007)

However.

I do realize that the HF series suffered a big set back when we lost Eric and Beth to Disney, which is why HF PHP & MySQL has been put on hold indefinitely, and that the whole of the series has been placed almost solely (as far as I can tell) on the shoulders of the very awesome and talented Brett M. I do know that everyone in the Head First office wants only to put out top quality books and content (hence the original delay of HFOOAD) and are willing to sacrifice much in the name of quality (Which is a good thing from a consumers perspective!... Or at least from my perspective!!).
Also by looking at the Amazon.com release date of Head First Software Development I'm assuming that everyone at Head First is currently 'under the gun' to get the new book out.
Finally I know that there was a webmaster position posted here at HFLabs which is no longer posted, so one might assume that there is a new webmaster working on some sort of update. But that is pure speculation on my part.

I do wish there was more participation from Head First officials and am hoping that after HFSD gets published we'll get it.

Regardless of everything I'm a Head First Passionate User and am grateful such an awesome series exists! I always recommend or give as gifts Head First books when I can!

#8 User is offline   tekal 

• Pip

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:24 PM

The ObjectvilleSubway.txt in my book looks different!!! I have to edit my LoadTester.java in order to get it working properly!

This post has been edited by tekal: 29 August 2010 - 08:32 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users