Photo

What Up-to-date Titles Would You Like To See Next?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 John Osborn

John Osborn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:37 PM

Deciding to use use the Up-to-Date format for Silverlight 2 was a no brainer. MIX 08 was just around the corner, and we knew Beta 1 would be released there. What better time and place could there be to put an updateable book into the hands of Microsoft developers. Besides, we knew that Silverlight 2 would be made available to the public through an orchestrated and mostly predictable series of releases: Beta 1 would be followed by Beta 2, and Beta 2 by a release to the web and so on. With our up-to-date format, we could provide developers with an innovative product that would stay current, no matter how many times Microsoft changed Silverlight before its final release. Plus, we could also correct mistakes and add overlooked content that our readers thought was important.

So now that you've seen the product, what other subjects should we publish in this format? Tell us what you'd like us to tackle next.
John Osborn
Senior Editor
O'Reilly Media, Inc.
Cambridge, MA

#2 Jay

Jay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 02:24 PM

Dynamic HTML Definitive Reference by Danny Goodman would be an excellent choice. It is far and away my most used reference book but I'm sure I'm at least one revision behind.

The .Net Framework would also be nice, I really haven't found a good well organized reference for that yet. Sometimes I find that I loop around in circles with their online documentation, other times I just feel like I'm looping in circles. Some of Microsoft's other first release products documentation from .Net 3.0 and 3.5 would be nice too. WCF, WPF, WF, Linq, etc.

Another reference manual I'd like to see would be an SQL reference formatted like Danny Goodman does in his Dynamic HTML reference. By that I mean it would show all of the SQL, TSQL, PL/SQL, etc language elements, identify which DB's support which ones (or identify similar commands). This could be done across the SQL standard, Oracle, MS SQL Server, MySQL, DB2, and any other major DB. I find my self struggling to get my syntax right right as I move from environment to environment.

#3 russ

russ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:39 AM

I love the Up-To-Date concept, especially considering today's world where there are so many different languages and frameworks that are advancing at such a rapid pace. I'm not big on reading eBooks, so the concept of a beta pdf eBook until the final version is ready doesn't interest me much at all. I love the idea that I can have a book in my hands today and it will stay current as the scope of the book evolves.

Here are some suggestions I have for future topics:

Ruby on Rails 2 Up-To-Date - The Rails team moves at such a rapid pace as soon as you make the investment in a book that's current, they release some new features in the EDGE Rails that I would love to have tutorial style documentation on. This concept could also apply to other fast moving frameworks like Django, Grails, Monorail, etc.

JRuby 1.x Up-To-Date - I believe there is a lot of potential in the jRuby project and would love some tutorial style information with the promise to stay current.

.NET Framework 4 Up-To-Date / Java 7 Up-To-Date - Allthough .NET and Java changes don't come as fast and often as other languages/frameworks, they are on the move.

J2EE 6 Up-To-Date - Another set of techonlogies that's continually being updated/upgraded.

I also like the idea of an HTML/DHTML/Javascript book that keeps pace with updates to the javascript ECMA spec, HTML 5 spec, and which of those specs the current and BETA browsers are supporting.

Hope you find some of these suggestions helpful. Thanks for soliciting our input.

Russ

Edited by russ, 02 April 2008 - 11:45 AM.

#4 Dmitri

Dmitri

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 11:22 AM

PowerShell 2.0
Hyper-V

#5 developerzero

developerzero

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:24 AM

Anything about HTML/CSS/Javascript/AJAX/etc.
Anything about .net/C#/F# (When are you going to release an F# Pocket Reference?)
Anything PowerShell
Anything C++/C/STL
Anything SQL (Book contains general SQL and comparison of implementations, then we can download and print the chapters on implementation-dependant SQL)

And most importantly:
A Blank Book/Spare Pages/Empty book (For Making our own books, storing extra/old pages, or for users to post "books" or chapters of books on the forums).

It might also be interesting to see it in the same size as a Pocket Reference book (especially as a blank book).

One final idea that might be nice is if we could buy the e-books on your site, or even just individual chapters of the books, so we can print them out for our own books (this goes with the blank book and Pocket Reference book ideas above). This would allow us to customize the book so it is layed out how we like, and just contains the content we need, or even just makes it so we can get the books a little faster (i.e. we buy blank books beforehand, then buy the printable version when it becomes available).

And a last comment: don't limit the Up-to-Date books to being a form of pre-release; extend the line to any book subject where the material might change over time (which is just about anything related to computers).

#6 Johan Dewancker

Johan Dewancker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:26 AM

It's a perfect format for the fast changing world of today. I think it's perfect for almost everything in the software world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users